Thursday, December 2, 2010

"They Just Be So Wordy"

Michelle Speed's article, " Kanye West doesn't read books, but he want you to buy his", is about how Kanye feels that novels "be so wordy ". Kanye West is being very hypocritical. Speed explains to us that Kanye is proud to be a non-reader, but he just published a book  called, "Thank You and You're Welcome". Although the book is short, and technically not considered a novel because it is filled with "Kanye-isms", he is still promoting not reading. This is not good. Everyone needs to have some form of reading in their lives. If you do not read, you cannot learn how to properly speak, and reading also increases your knowledge. Reading novels builds up your vocabulary. If Kanye is such a  " non-reader",  why is he writing a book, and expecting people to buy it?
        Despite the fact that Kanye thinks people should not read,  his reasons are very justifiable. He feels as though people should go out and live life, rather than sitting in and reading imaginary stories. I completely agree with this. People should not be wasting their time reading novels that they may never understand. I think that is okay to read to learn, but wasting your time on old literature seems nearly pointless. What are you getting out of reading a story that you don't understand? You should be living your life, rather than trying to live an imaginary one through a story.
       Kanye not promoting reading is not very good for his image. After being so opinionated recently, this is really the last thing he needs.  I think that Kanye looks stupid in a way because he completely contradicted himself. He complains that he frequently gets misquoted and incorrectly paraphrased all the time, but then he goes and writes a book, after he talked down on reading.Overall, many people feel as though reading is one of the most important things to do in life. Reading is what makes you smart. But truthfully, I think Kanye is right when he says ,you should be living your life though, rather than sitting all day with your nose in a book.


1 comment:

  1. I agree that, “Everyone needs to have some form of reading in their lives.” You don’t need to have “your nose in a book all day,” but I think it’s good to read once in a while. I liked that you said, “If Kanye is such a “non-reader", why is he writing a book, and expecting people to buy it?” I agree with this completely. I like that you agreed with Kanye’s opinion on living life, but showed that it was not a very good image for Kanye to write a book after he said that he was a proud non-reader. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete